The Grid at Route 31
The Grid, formerly home to Caterpillar Inc.’s manufacturing operations, sits on approximately 350 acres along Route 31 in Montgomery, Illinois. With over 4 million square feet under roof, the site offers flexible opportunities for large and mid-size users alike. The site features four parking lots totaling 3,750 spaces as well as a helipad that is in current standing with the FAA.
The site is characterized by its large concrete pads, heavy utility infrastructure, on-site Co-Gen facility, 300,000-gallon water tower supplying all of the site’s water, and on-site wastewater pre-treatment plant.
Located in unincorporated Kendall County, the site is highly adaptable to a variety of users and current zoning (M-2 Heavy Industrial) allows for most industrial, fabrication, production and manufacturing uses. Caterpillar employed over 5,500 people at this location during peak production.
- 350 acres
- Over 4 million SF available (Divisible to 40,000 SF)
- 3,750 parking spaces
- 3 buildings over 900,000 SF
- Rail served by BNSF
- Flexible zoning/use
- Up to 38′ clear heights
- City & state incentives
- Kendall County taxes
- On-site co-gen facility for self-generating power
- Immediate Greater Chicagoland access
- On site water reservoir with 3 deep wells
- 300k gallon water tower with water treatment facility
- Situated between I-88 and I-55
- Reach 25% of the U.S. population within one-day delivery
- 6 miles to I-88
- 7.7 miles to BNSF Eola Yard
- 42 miles to O’Hare International Airport
- 47 miles to Downtown Chicago